1. The second wave has made the poor women and their families in Tirupati more vulnerable. Every 1 out of 2 people interviewed by SPMS found it difficult to make ends meet by losing their only source of income due to COVID. As their livelihood depends on pilgrims, the lockdown has worsened the situation.
2. Many COVID affected families do not have enough funds to feed their families due to loss of income and increasing medical expenditure. About 100 families among the SPMS network of 6000 poor are affected by COVID and reported financial difficulties. We expect that the number of affected will go up soon.
3. Some of the families are struggling with lack of oxygen; beds in the hospital, lack of funds to take care of patients in critical conditions and are in dire need of financial support for the timely medical support.
4. Community lacks awareness and needs to be more responsible in terms of their behaviours on spreading the disease. People need be educated on proper and regular usage of mask, adhering to COVID protocols, care and precautions to be taken especially for self isolation and arresting the spread of the disease.
SPMS is planning to provide following support to community members and ensure that the money reaches the people who need it the most.
· Emergency Medical Support: Support at least 50 families having COVID patients with critical medical condition and need urgent medical support. The support will meet the cost of treatment, medicines and other support.(@ Rs. 30,000 per family for 50 families = INR 15 lakhs)
· Supply of dry ration: Support at least 500 COVID affected families with supply of dry ration for 20 days. (@ Rs 2000 per family for 500 families = INR 10 Lakhs)
· Awareness and Community Action: Create awareness about COVID response and supply of masks, soaps, and sanitizers. SPMS will play an important role in disseminating important information, facilitate tele-medicine, online registrations for vaccine to the staff etc. (6000 families @ Rs 50/family = INR 3 lakhs)
. Food Drives: Provide cooked meals to 100 families, where all members have been infected. The meals will be cooked by the members of the community thereby providing employment opportunity at a time when their income has been affected. (100 families@ Rs 2000/ family = INR 2 lakhs)
Each rupee of your hard-earned money will reach the most needy of the community. Your contribution and support would go a long way in building confidence among the community during these challenging times and enable them to come forward to promote the values of self-help and mutual support. Their resilience is their livelihood, and your contribution is a step towards making that a reality!
More about SPMS: