This Problem Definition exercise is particular to 6 Rainbow Home Child Care Institutions in Hyderabad conducted on 6th May 2022.
Children in CCIs from classes 1 to 10, lack foundational basics due to which they are unable to cope with the teaching at the school and end up discontinuing education. Most of them start their schooling only after joining a CCI and get admitted in the age-appropriate grade. As they would have skipped the initial grades, it is found that they hold an inadequate grip on bare minimum foundational basics.
Additionally, the COVID pandemic has led to an extended education gap because of a lack of access to digital devices and the awareness of their usage. Children managed to attend online classes with one device that was shared among 10-15 children where shelter authorities mentioned that it was just like watching a movie for them which was of no use. Be it offline or online, these children required constant support and attention. There is a need for personal care for every child as each one is distinct from the other.
Digitalisation project has been piloted in one of the Rainbow Homes, Hyderabad for two months and we are able to see a distinct impact on children with respect to education and personal care. The Shelter authority of CCI says - "we had some online classes prior to this but our children were never engaged in this way where they learn, discuss and ask questions to the teaching volunteers. The individual attention that children receive and the creative way the topics are taught, it is not anything less than any offline class."
HUManity executes its programs in CCI through the dedicated voluntary operating model for one year.
- One volunteer is recruited from every 5 applicants who are registered. Every volunteer is committed for a minimum duration of one year.
- Each volunteer is thoroughly trained to interact and teach the children.
- Each class is monitored by a program facilitator to ensure that class outcomes are met.
- Class plans and impact trackers are prepared by volunteers and reviewed for every class.
- Each child is taught by a dedicated volunteer for over 4 hours a week in addition to the need-based extra classes during the weekends.
- A monthly reporting to the CCI authority from the CCI Manager of HUManity Organisation followed by troubleshooting of the concerns faced.
- Activity-based learning is followed to facilitate as most of the students are kinaesthetic learners. Thus, helping in better retention of the concepts.
- Students are supported with the works of their regular classes to ease out their learning process and improve their confidence levels.
We request your support in procuring Digital set-up at 5 more CCIs in Hyderabad.
Cost to Procure Digital Set-up for One CCI - Rs 1,27, 500.
This includes 3 Computers and Android TV Set up, Speakers, Pen Tablets for Volunteers and Mics
Total Cost to Procure Digital Set-up Five CCIs - Rs 6,37, 500.
* Total students receiving quality education support - 281.
* Total number of Teaching hours per week - 1124
* Volunteer to Children Ratio - 1:3
* Active volunteers of 100 who would play a crucial role in creating a sustainable learning platforms for children in Child Care Institutions.
Social Venture Partners after a thorough scrutiny has given a grant to cover the operational expenses and salaries of the full-time employees.
All the donations to HUManity Foundation can avail the 80G tax exemption.
Humanity Uplifting Mankind Foundation (HUManity) is a section 8 registered NGO started in Vizag working for children living in child care institutions. After the three years of pilot operations in Vizag, HUManity expanded to Hyderabad and the impact of its programs was recognised by the nationwide renowned organization, Social Venture Partners( SVP India), as official partners to execute our Foundational Program in Child Care Institutions of Hyderabad.
Vision: To ensure Holistic development for children living in childcare institutions.
Mission of the Digitalisation Project: Reduce the educational gap through creating and executing online teaching/e-learning models of education for children at childcare institutions while making them tech-savvy.
Follow us on instagram
to more about our work.