What is the modern urban challenge?
Citizens are disconnected from each other and their local government, with no process to engage meaningfully to solve the problems in our cities.
Blue Ribbon Movement is a youth-led organization that acts from a systemic understanding of social and civic issues. We are experimenting with a model that provides a framework for people to experience and exercise active citizenship.
We take an integrated approach to leadership, fostering youth leadership at 3 levels:
- Personal Leadership: Activating leadership in youth through volunteering
- 3500 hours volunteered in the past year
- Community Leadership: Acting on civic issues through community connection and engagement.
- 2800 hours of Programs & Collective Events
- Systemic Leadership: Actively supporting and co-organizing solidarity events
- 1300 hours working with 5 major national networks and over 300 grassroots organizations
- Community Connect: Develop Active Youth Citizens
- Develop community engagement processes
- Over 600 young leaders nurtured and trained in the engagement process
- Over 7150 civic complaints were filed and pursued
- 60% complaints resolved successfully
- Recognized and honored by The World Forum for Democracy as one of the best initiatives in the world (2nd Place).
- The Fools' Forum: Collaborative Citizen Events.
- Connected more than 900 individuals in over 40 alternative communities across Mumbai through thought-provoking activities
- Themes included:
- The Battle of Opposites
- How to make DemoCrazy come alive?
- SarvAnumati: Our Experiment with Love
- Channel 5: An Online Listening Space during COVID
- Provided a safe space for citizens to address mental health and other concerns during the pandemic, especially during the lockdown.
- Thematic sessions provided an opportunity for over 180 participants to speak their truth and feel supported
- Learning Circles with Thought Leaders.
- 10 Interactive Learning Circles for youth leaders focused on vital topics like Relationship with Money and Manage your energy, not time.
We believe that lasting change in a city is best achieved by citizen power. BRM is pioneering an approach of citizen-led, citizen-funded social change.
The movement is volunteer-driven with low overhead costs. Funds raised will support the youth leadership initiatives and help us test and verify a model which can be replicated across communities, cities and perhaps even countries.
Your funds will help create a citizen-engagement and youth leadership model that will lead to active citizens, connected communities and sustainable cities.
All donations big or small are welcome :)