A Lending Hand to BherlewadiFundraising for a small village named Bherlewadi near Bhatan, about 17km from Panvel. Bherlewadi is a population of around 870 people in a small tribal area without sufficient daily necessities (food, shelter, medicines and sanitizations).
How we found about Bherlewadi
The medical officer of the Primary Health Care (PHC) Center in Ajiwali is responsible for the villages of Bhatan.
He suggested Bherlewadi village to us. The PHC center is ready to work with us with basic health checkups. They will also provide us with the manpower needed for the campaign.
Asha worker, a health worker of the village helped us with the survey.
We formulated a few questions on:
- Health problems
- Family members
- Daily problems faced
Results on Survey
- Poverty- - Poverty is one of the main causes behind the unavailability of resources. They cannot afford the daily expenses due to a lack of employment. Through labor work, only approx. 50-500 rupees per day, are earned.
- The Shelters- Houses seen were small huts with at maximum 2 small rooms.
- Electricity- They also cannot manage to have electricity.
- Unavailability- Sufficient food even through farming is not available. Another necessary need is clean water which is also not sufficient. Even if these people do get some, they don't have the awareness to use and save it properly.
- The Asha Workers- They have been assigned to that village to help maintain health and help make a living for the villagers. Though we found they, too, face problems from providing and storing food to medicines and health checkups.
- Traveling Difficulty- We also found that villagers have to travel to Navi Mumbai for treatment as no medical help is available in the village.
- Death Rate- It was found that the death rate is high due to improper medical facilities. Unfortunately, this is seen more in pregnant women and young mothers.
- Health Issues- The major health issues we came across were: Calcium deficiency, low blood count, skin problems, malnutrition, diabetes, BP, Low sugar, heart problems and problems related to pregnancy, etc
- We try to reach those in need and where help is not available easily.
- The death rate is high even though people claim to be healthy. Mostly pregnant and young girls need medical health.
- Sanitization and medical help both are scarce here.
What do we need?
What we need are just small simple things to establish a campaign and deliver to them when needed:
- Food- We are to deliver small amounts of Rice and Dal. As the villagers only take this as their staple food.
- Fruits- 4 - 5 Fruits that might go along with their necessity and the time of the year.
- Medicines- Medicines of common illness we encountered there. We will have a bulk of these to give to those who need according to their needs.
To accomplish all this, we require your support and funding.
- Medicines- The estimation of medication cost for the villagers like headache, cold, iron deficiency, etc. is 40,000 Rupees, excluding the health checkups.
- Food- The food included will be Apple, Orange, Banana, Dal and rice- That goes more than 15,000 Rupees.