Give now to help dogs and other animals worldwide
Millions of dogs and cats roam the streets worldwide. Their situations vary across cultures from just receiving food scraps, to being family members, to being killed. In collaboration with local partners, PHDC develops humane and sustainable programs to improve the welfare of dogs and cats globally.
PHDC offers humane and sustainable solutions to manage free-roaming dog and cats and promote peaceful co-existence with humans in their communities. We help provide affordable and accessible veterinary care to dogs and cats, many who have never visited a veterinarian before.
Facts about dog and cat welfare:
- Many street dogs and cats suffer from starvation, dehydration, exposure to the elements, injury and disease.
- Culls are not the solution; humane and effective sterilization, vaccination and community engagement programs are the long-term solution.
- Increase in population of roaming animals is both an animal welfare and public health and safety issue.
- Governments and communities often lack the knowledge or resources to deal humanely with street animals; many still resort to poisoning, electrocution, and shooting.
- The World Health Organization states, “There is no evidence that removal of dogs alone has ever had a significant impact on dog population densities or the spread of rabies.”
- Humane solutions include mass sterilization, vaccination, community engagement and education, legislation and adoption programs.