Why am I raising funds?
1. Vaccination_ We get a paravet onsite for vaccination drives and have to pay for the 9-in-one and anti-rabies vaccination & boosters.
2. Sterilization_ State run sterilization centers conduct the surgery free of cost but owing to the unhealthy conditions, I prefer taking not more than 2 dogs in one go for the surgery individually. I often have trouble finding free-of-cost post-op boarding for these dogs so fundraising will help me cover the post-op boarding stay cost since the shelters already have a rising number of dogs waiting sterilization.
3. Regular feeding_ In 2015, I was able to feed a litter of 6 pups with 12 adult dogs on my own and then my family of dogs grew. I'd be able to feed more dogs and ensure regular feeding with this fundraiser. These dogs in the streets often rely on the generosity or the leftovers of the residents. While some are kind, some are plain hostile and poor dogs rely on scavenging. Sure, it's in their nature too but I recently noticed few emaciated mothers with litters to feed and felt that some support is indeed needed to ensure that these mothers are sterilized, fed regularly.
Even though, the state and other organisations try & provide free of medical services to our street dogs, we have to pay for private ambulances, sterilization post-op care, dogfood, pup vaccinations, paravet fees, medical bills, etc.
How will I use the funds?
1. Vaccination per dog costs us 300+ 100 INR in one go (for adults) and we pay additional cost for pups who needs boosters. We have 20 adult dogs waiting anti-rabies vaccination which is supposed to be provided free of cost but isn't. State run hospitals are usually out of stock so we either wait until September to get the free vaccinations or simply call the vet and pay.
Since the pup population is on the rise, we are trying to limit distemper, parvo & rabies among the little ones as much as we can.
2. Sterilization a dog in ghaziabad is easy but sadly, often the doctors are away and stuffing dogs inside an ambulance is just hostile. So, instead, we book a private ambulance, or simply hire us a vehicle and take the dog/dogs to the center. Private shelters charge between 1000-2500/- INR for
Post op boarding cost is 100/day and we generally keep a dog there for 5 days. Ambulance cost varies between 300-1000/- INR.
I cut costs by using personal vehicles but have call private ambulances sometimes.
3. Feeding: I have 20 adult dogs to feed with more volunteers feeding dogs in other blocks in the same area so the number has increased to 30-40. We are exploring more areas as we came across some emaciated mothers in the last month but couldn't arrange regular feeding due to lack of funds. Also, all of our dogs don't eat plain chapati or rice and it's not possible to carry a bottle of warm milk everywhere we go, so I prefer the dry food or the wet dog food pouches from drools or Pedigree.
What's all this about?
They are street dogs so I can't relocate them as that would be impractical. Moreover, I have two adopted 3 indian dogs at home so I can't bring anymore over either.
Some of my street dogs are really old, some are just pups. couple of sick dogs who died because I ran out of funds and had no help available. There's a group of like-minded volunteers who often struggle with regular feeding and we have even resorted to just feeding these dogs biscuits (non-sugary ones).
This is a Not For Profit unofficial initiative to ensure that my dogs in the streets keep getting the proper care even if I am not in the vicinity.
What can you do for us?
You can simply donate money or if you don't feel like sending us money, you can send us dogfood (Dry food/gravy/wet food).
If you'd like to pay for the vaccinations, you can write me a mail to email@example.com and I will share the paravet/vet details with you so you can pay them the money.
If you'd like to connect me with your boarding/foster contacts or have better sterilization suggestions, please write me a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.