The pandemic of COVID-19 has overturned our lives in some way or the other. However, the vulnerable and marginalized urban poor community is the worst affected, in ways, including job loss, rationing of food and other basic goods, and disruptions to hygiene, health care services and education.
Young girls and boys, already living precarious lives in the slums of Mumbai, are experiencing ‘A fragile today... and an uncertain tomorrow.’
For some adolescents particularly those in already disadvantaged or vulnerable situations, the impact will be life long.
- COVID- 19 has meant reduced meals and inadequate nutrition for the adolescents in slums making them prone to malnutrition and anemia.
- Moreover, school closures means disruption in education, midday meal, weekly iron and folic acid supplementation, sanitary napkin distribution, and interaction with friends. With little access to computers/mobile phones or internet, digital learning seems a remote possibility.
- Young girls’ vulnerability to gender based violence is increasing.
- The risks to adolescent mental health and well-being are considerable, but they have almost no access to counselling services.
- Health services and entitlements are adversely affected as the already strained health system is focusing on addressing the COVID-19 crisis.
Committed Communities Development Trust (CCDT), founded in 1990, is a registered Indian Non-profit organization (NGO). CCDT has worked with the most marginalized and vulnerable communities across Maharashtra. Over the last 3 decades CCDT has gone to the last mile to reach more than 2 million children and families in crisis.
We have been working to ensure emergency supplies, relief and medical equipment, ever since the pandemic broke out. Our frontline workers continue to work closely with the most vulnerable groups including adolescents within the communities.
Your support will help us reach 1000 marginalized adolescents in the slums of Mumbai.
|1.||Nutrition kit||Dry ration (rice, dal, wheat flour, cooking oil, salt)|
|2.||Hygiene kit||Soap, hand sanitizer, face masks, hands gloves, pack of sanitary pads|
|3.||Counseling support||Support to cope with anxieties, access health services & entitlements|
We look forward to your support to ensure a secure and better tomorrow for these adolescents.
Total Goal: Rs. 45,00,000.