"A step towards transforming children into empowered individuals and responsible citizens!"
Sponsor A Child Program - Sponsorship Appeal: From last 3 years, Being Volunteer is sponsoring 250 school students from class 1 to 10th with the help of corporate and donors like you. This year we have received sponsorship for 130 students till now and we need more donors to sponsor remaining 120 students.
Appreciate your any help for this noble cause.
What is need:
Below chart depicts Indian population in different age groups, how many are formally enrolled in education and % dropout?
Highlights from National Statistical Survey 2014:
- After completing primary level education, 37% of males and 39% of females among the ever-enrolled persons (aged 5-29 years) left their study
- For the males of age 5-29 years, “engagement in economic activities” was the most common reason for dropping out (almost 32%), whereas for the females in the same age-group, the dominant reason was engagement in domestic activities (28%)
- In rural areas the major reason for never-enrolment for persons of ages 5-29 years was ‘not interested in education’ (30%) while in urban areas, in the same age group is because of ‘financial constraints’ (32%)
- Socio-economic background of the child (lack of finance, parental awareness)
- Type of school they attend (Non-availability of Infrastructure, competent staff)
- Absence of co-curricular and social-emotional skill development opportunities
Do we wait till all these stakeholders understand the situation and start working collaboratively to bring the necessary change?
NO… “Being volunteer” believes in the power of individuals and groups committed to bring a change in education scenario specially for under-privileged children in our society.
What we do in each sphere?
Students under sponsor a child project will get following benefits as a part of academics:
1) Evening tuition for 5 days a week for 10 months. A skilled teacher / coach will conduct evening tuitions for curriculum (English, Math, Science, Social Studies etc) at respective community locations. All sponsored students will attend these classes
2) School kit- To all sponsored students
3) School Tuition fee payment against receipt – To students going in private / aided school
4) School uniform and books against receipt – To students going in private / aided school
5) Bus pass – To all sponsored students
Social & Emotional skills Learning (SEL):
SEL is the process through which children acquire the knowledge, attitudes, and skills they need to understand and manage their feelings and emotions, be caring and concern for others, establish positive and healthy relationships, responsible decision making, and handle challenging situations effectively.
How we do it:
The students go through a systematic program over a period of 10 months. It has 40 hrs content. 24 hours will be classroom / inbound session. The sessions are 2 hrs each conducted once in a 15 day by trained facilitator along with volunteers. Remaining 16 hours is outbound based. The methodology is experiential. Elements used will be cooperative games, group games, role play, storytelling, video, journaling, modeling, projects, adventure etc. Activities are conducted at the community location like Abhyasika / School.
The program has 3 streams.
- In class / outbound interactive session on SEL
- Mentoring (One on One)
- Basic learning skills enhancement (Thinking, reasoning, analysis)
Grade wise SEL program
|Grade||Social Emotional Skills||Basic learning skills||Duration|
|Who will do it|
|5th Garde||Cleanliness, curiosity, safety, efforts||Divergent thinking, memory, focus||12 sessions of 2 hrs each spread over 8 months and 0ne 16 hrs outbound session||Trained individual volunteers and facilitators from Being Volunteer team will conduct these sessions.|
|6th Grade||Taking initiative, perseverance, health, self- discipline, conservation||Observation skills, critical thinking|
|7th Grade||Friendship, sexuality, courage, citizenship, identifying emotions, expressing||Asking questions, creative thinking|
|8th Grade||Trustworthiness, empathy, sharing, caring,||Reasoning, analytical thinking, mind maps|
|9th Grade||Goal setting, problem solving, resourcefulness, strengths and weakness, self control, teamwork, time management, planning||Organizing, Design thinking|
|10th Grade||Leadership, collaboration, decision making, Risk taking|
One part of this sphere is “Mentoring”. With the help of committed volunteers, a yearlong “one on one” mentoring program is planned. Volunteer will go through well planned mentoring training first. The idea is to provide needy children a guide / facilitator who will bring best out of them
Co-curricular activities play an important role is shaping character of a student. It gives students an opportunity to develop a skill in non-academic abilities.
|Guidance on hobbies||Volunteers can run 1 / 2 hrs session once in 15 days for students on hobbies like drama, singing, instruments, arts & crafts, painting, modelling etc.|
|Study tour||Once in a year. The selection of place will be based on student interest, academics and objective e.g. science parks, historical monuments, museums, processing units etc.|
|Sports Day||Once in a year. This activity will promote liking towards sports and a healthy competition|
|Cultural day||Once in a year. A platform to showcase your other skills|
We will be contacting two important stakeholders. Parents and teachers. We will hold 2 contact sessions of 4 hrs each in one year with both. The sessions will be experiential
With parents the objective is to realise why continuing education is essential, how they are ‘role models’ for the kids, how to create supportive environment at home etc.
With teachers (at center) the objective is to take them through experience of “invitational education”,“Brain-body elements affecting learning”, “creating safe environment in class rooms”.
Stakeholders and their role:
- Donor: Individual or corporate donors are important stakeholders. They are involved through
- Time – Volunteer in running events, mentoring a child, teaching
- Finance – Sponsor one or more children
- Review progress of the program and make suggestion
Being Volunteer is a social initiative supported by working professionals from various industries to bring unique value to the social services sector.
Being Volunteer through its portal www.beingvolunteer.org brings Volunteers, NGOs and CSRs on a common platform, enabling them to collaborate for various social causes.
Being Volunteer also carries out its own community services for betterment of our environment and the society through its Sprint and Marathon activities.
Sprint activities are short (2-6 hrs.) volunteering activities for on field social service planned over weekends. Marathon activities are sustained volunteering efforts that run for few months to a year.
Healthcare, education, sanitation, cleanliness drives, environment care, conserving heritage sites, skill set development, animal care etc. are some of the activities that Being Volunteer is supporting or conducting on its own.
Its role in “Sponsor a Child” project is
- Identifying needy community (school, NGO and students)
- Generate donation drives
- Accounting and managing of funds and its reporting
- Design content and workbook for social emotional skills training
- Training of volunteers willing to take part in co-curricular and SEL
- Delivery of programs through trained facilitators& committed volunteers
- Project progress reports as agreed with stakeholders
- Planning and execution of events and tasks
- Engaging volunteers
- Back office and logistics management necessary for this program
- Beneficiary (School, NGO, Community study center, hostel etc.)
- Beneficiary units work closely with ‘Being Volunteer’. Their role is to
- Identify individual beneficiary
- Implementing various initiatives (extra coaching, co-curricular activities etc.)
- Keeping records of different activities
- Provide feedback / suggestions on effectivity of the program
What you get when you sign up?
- An opportunity to volunteer in this cause and make a difference in a child’s life
- Child details, two score cards per year along with greeting from child.
- Opportunity to meet the child.
- Annual audit statement along with report.
- Quarterly reports
How your money is used?
- Paying full time program managers
- Volunteer engagement and training events
- Sundry material for different activities
Under CSR you can sponsor a group of students. Being volunteer will provide your employees an engagement opportunity specifically in co-curricular and social emotional skills part
Providing social engagement opportunity is one of the important tool in enhancing employee’s belongingness towards the organization. It reflects in the work as well
Being volunteer provides another important benefit. Your employees, who volunteer in co-curricular training, social and emotional skills learning and mentoring activities, will be first trained by facilitators who regularly conduct corporate workshops on same topics.
Your employees will learn important aspects of working together, collaboration, conflict management etc. which they can use in their work.
Team Being Volunteer Foundation