Hara Jeevan is an NGO based in Delhi, striving to make a positive impact on the environment.. We have a mission of planting 100 million trees by 2040 and make Delhi a sustainable place of living. We have already planted over 11,000 trees and spread 75K seed balls pan India, and are striving to plant more.
What is our focus right now?
We currently have a dual focus:
1. Plant more native Trees
2. Create an Urban forest in West Delhi on the basis of Miyawaki method of afforestation.
Why is this the need of the hour?
- Delhi loses 80 lives every single day, just owing to the pollution (Addressing global mortality from ambient PM2.5 study, 2019), and tree plantation is known to significantly improve air quality.
- Delhi is reeling under extremely dry and hot weather which frequently crosses the 45 degrees-mark and has extreme heat waves. In a situation like this, Urban trees can also cool down neighborhoods anywhere from 0.5 degrees Celsius to 2 degrees Celsius on the hottest summer days, which is vital during deadly heat waves, and can end up saving many lives.
- At the same time, waste is an equally big threat in Delhi. In Delhi alone, around 9000 tonnes of waste is generated every single day. However, since most of it isn’t segregated, converting biodegradable waste into manure becomes tough. Hence, Hara Jeevan has taken up on themselves to spread awareness, and promote the same in societies and school.
- Schools too are a huge source of waste generation, but at the same time, waste can be a resource, if used in the right way. Thus, we are planning to set up compost pits in schools and localities to ensure that the biodegradable waste segregated can convert to manure at source point itself.
How will your contribution help?
Your donation will help us in creating a small forest in the heart of the city which will eventually be the pollution sucker, bring us more close to nature, With maximum utilization of land more and more self sustainable trees be planted with minimum human intervention after a period of time. Money contributed will help in procuring native varieties, maintaining for next 3 years and motivating us to work more on such patches and make our Delhi more green and clean. We once again thank you for your cooperation and contribution.