In our school, Rajeshwari has put her heart into studies and worked very hard. She passed 10th standard examinations securing 63.84% marks. Recently she completed B.Sc in Nursing and started working as a nurse in the clinic - ‘Anagha’, Mysore.
There are lakhs of Shwetha’s and Rajeshwari’s in India who do not have right school’s where they can have an opportunity to learn as per their educational needs and a shoulder to lean to share their emotions. Given their background, we call children like Shwetha and Rajeshwari as "Out-of-system" children, as they are not suitable for regular schools.
"Kaliyuva Mane" located in a village on the outskirts of Mysore, in one unique school for "Out-of-system" children, which is addressing this issue successfully since 2005 with its child-centric model of education. With this campaign, we want to create a shelter for about 32 underprivileged girls in our school to empower them and provide them with an opportunity to live up to their potential.
What is it about Kaliyuva Mane's education model?
Most of the "Out-of-system" children accompany an academic lag and are devoid of emotional attention in home & school. Kaliyuva Mane fulfills these needs with a child-centric model of education as described below:
- Admissions round the year, as a dropped-out child, can regain interest at any point in the year
- Abolition of grades: Flexible teams based on knowledge, emotional acceptability and age
- Congenial environment with utmost importance to emotions. A happy mind learns faster.
- Individualistic curriculum, taking into consideration the academic lag and the ability to learn
- Evaluation: Regular informal tests rather than memory-testing long duration annual exams
- Medium of Instruction: Both Kannada & English Medium. Core subjects like Maths, Science and Social are used initially as a means to teach the English component in the subject and then the subject component
- Campus as a learning tool: Usage of physical premises of the school to teach Maths and Science practically
- Life-skill training: By the time the child pass out from the school, the child will be exposed to the skills like – Dairy, Cooking, Horticulture, Basic plumbing and electric work, Crafts, Banking & Legal System etc..,
Construction of Girls Dormitory
With a great response last year for our campaign in Milaap, we completed the construction of ‘boys dormitory’. Now 72 boys are happily staying and learning in Kaliyuva Mane.
If we can extend the existing dormitory and construct a 2-story building, we can accommodate up to 32 girls. So we have started the construction in May 2019. Few pictures of the construction are provided below and the project plan is provided in supporting documents section below. The total project cost is Rs. 55 Lakhs. Due to shortage of funds, we decided to raise Rs. 15 Lakhs with this campaign.
This is our sincere request to you to come forward and support this campaign to empower us to provide shelter to 24 additional girl children in our school.We also take this opportunity to invite you to visit our school-cum-home to experience firsthand an atmosphere of joy and hope.