I am Divya. I am currently a Ph.D. student doing my doctoral research at IISc, Bangalore. I have been associated with helping stray dogs for over a decade now. I started out modestly with taking animals to CUPA trauma center at Hebbal. Slowly I started being more and more involved. I became friendly with a few stray dogs who I would meet on the way to work. I fed them and vaccinated them. Soon that number increased and I had to continue vaccinating and sterilizing as many as possible. In the past few months there was a temporary stop on the ABC program to sterilize stray dogs so I couldn't get one female sterilized and now she has given birth to five puppies. I have to vaccinate all of them and sterilize them all. Amidst all of this one of them had a fracture so I had to get him operated and had to pay for that as well. Because too many expenses came at once I wasn't able to handle it, and that's when I decided to try crowdfunding.
I will be able to utilize the donations I have received thus far and ensure that dogs and humans can safely cohabit in today's society. My goal is to try to keep the dogs as healthy and disease free as possible so that they are not a threat to humans.
Below are some of the usual expenses I incur:
- Deworming tablets 2 tablets per dog for 6 dogs -- once every 3 months -- Rs. 480
- Vaccination -- yearly once for 6 dogs -- Rs. 4200
- Puppy vaccination/first time vaccination -- three shots to be given -- 5 puppies -- Rs. 2100 per puppy = total Rs. 10500
- Sterilization -- 1 adult and 4 puppies -- Rs. 5000 (Rs.1000 per head at discount rate)
- Incidental/accident medical emergencies -- on average Rs. 1500 per accident (Rs. 3000-5000 if scan and surgery is needed)
- Transportation (auto) -- each visit Rs. 200 to 600
- Food - chicken with rice -- once a week or two -- 6 adults and 5 puppies -- Rs.100
- Pedigree food -- Rs 500