Gita Ravindranath is the President of Inner Wheel Club of Bangalore South Parade. She believes in being generous with time, money, resources and willingness to help. Your true wealth is the good you do in the world.
Mitra Jyothi is a registered trust (under Indian Trust Act) located at Bangalore in the State of Karnataka and has been working for people with disability in general and the visually impaired in particular for the past 26 years (started in 1990).
- There are an estimated 45 million people in the world with visual disability and one in three of them are in India. India has an estimated population of 15 million people who are blind. The only means of basic education to these people is through Braille.
- Availability of Braille books in local languages is extremely limited and is nonexistent for the rural poor. Apart from school text books blind children are completely deprived of reading material.
- Mitra Jyothi shall identify 30 different story books in Kannada suitable for general reading for children from class 1 to class 10. These books will be printed in Braille and distributed to the blind schools in Karnataka - there are 30 blind schools in Karnataka that are actively serving children from rural communities.
- Production and printing costs of a 100 page book in Braille is Rs.210 per book.
- An average Class 1-3 level book shall have about 20 pages and a class 8-10 book shall have 200 pages. On an average if every book has about 50 pages, the cost of each book will be approximately Rs.105 and close to 4600 books can be produced if we collect Rs.5,00,000.
- The actual number of books printed will depend on;
- Total donation amount raised
- Actual number of pages in each of the 30 selected books
- Once the fund raising drive is complete, Mitra Jyothi will publish the status of the project on its website. every detail including the list of selected books, production and distribution status, recipient schools, relevant photos etc will be published on the website.
Photos of some of our in-house programs to Inspire and Enable the visually impaired
Computer Training using NVDA, an audio based screen navigation tool
Indoor Mobility Training
Outdoor Mobility Training
DAISY Player Distribution and Training
Independent Living Skills Training
Smart Cane Distribution and Training
To know more about Mitra Jyothi visit us at http://www.mitrajyothi.org/ or follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/mitra.jyothi
To register for Bengaluru Marathon click here.