Bhulori is a village in Melghat, where a fire broke out on 21-05-2018 due to scorching heat and many houses are burnt and destroyed, devastating the lives of more than 500 villagers. Most of them are indigenous Korku tribals who have only subsistence agriculture and minor forest produce as source of their livelihoods.This is not the first time that the region is facing the problem. Last year a nearby village called Semadoh saw 43 HHs destroyed by forest fire.Team RISE - Yuva Melghat had successfully helped the distressed villagers by constructing new houses with temporary houses/sheds, subsistence materials, food grains and advocacy for permanent restoration and rehabilitation.
The problem is severe as the Monsoon is approaching and villagers have left with no place to live, store seeds, start livelihood activity.
About Us -
RISE Foundation (Rushimela Indigenous knowledge and Scientific Education (RISE) Foundation) is Registered Sector 09 - Not for Profit Organisation registered with Registrar of Companies, GoI, under Companies Act.
• Supporting the Education system in the tribal areas using latest Psychological tools and making effective use of tribal language for basic understanding & knowledge
• Mobilizing local youth for identifying challenges at local/village level and work on need based solutions by co-ordination with the Governing authorities. Having a positive environment between, governing authorities & tribal population
• Understanding, Documenting, Reinstating and Conserving tribal art and culture in a scientific way.
Major Projects of the organization
a) MAP – Melghat Adhyan Parishad – Research activities on traditional knowledge, art and culture with active community engagement and validation for Conservation and Development of Language, Food, Art, Culture, knowledge
b) YUVA Melghat - Youth United for Visionary Action in Melghat is a youth lead activity focused on Advocacy, Natural Resource Management, Village development, sensitization, community outreaches and networkingc) Mission Melghat
c) Improving learning levels of children in melghat through system strengthening, community ownership and psychological assessment.
d) Disaster management, Rehabilitation and Restoration -
Current and past Activities
- Gyankosh – Korku as a medium of knowledge transfer - School Connect with Korku
- Korku Wisdom - Conservation and Development of Korku Language, Food, Art, Culture, knowledge
- Disaster Relief - Rehabilitation of 43 HHs burnt due to Forest Fire in Semadoh and 05 HHs due to Wind
- Lets Arise - Abhyas Gat of Tribal Students
Plan of Action for Rehabilitation:-
1. Immediate Need -
Food grains, Cloths, Utensils, Daily use Items,
2. Short Term Needs -
Shelter for Residence, Shelter for Storage, Toilets, Documents needed for identity/address/bank/schools etc to be re-generated, Agriculture equipment/inputs etc
3. Long term need -
advocacy for PM Awas, village rehabilitation, Pakka Houses, Village common Utilities
Presently RISE foundation is engaged in Part one and also needs to undertake part Two as early as possible.
Estimated cost of funds required would be about Rs. 60000-80000 per HH. Out of which about Rs. 30000 can be raised through government support of cash and Kind - (CM relief Fund, District Disaster relief fund, ITDP and assistance from Forest Department in terms of Bamboo and other kinds). This is as per our last years experience at Semadoh. (Still we needed to generate about Rs. 1500000 for 43 HHs.)
so Present funds requirement would be of about Rs 30000 per HH. i.e. About Rs. 2400000/- (Rs. Twenty Four Lakhs).