Narendrapur Helping Hand (NHH) established in 26th January 2000 by Mr. JayantaBhattacherjee along with a few like-minded,socially conscious friends and students, under the influence of Swami Vivekananda’s preaching and a dream for a brighter tomorrow for the children & women of our society .
Initially, the main motto of NHHwas toprovide education to the needful children and their parents in the rural and interior locations in Bengal.
However, when the disastrous cyclone AYALAstruck and destroyed many villages in South Bengal, NHH extended its reach and startedexhaustive development programmein GARANBOSE area under Basanti block of Sundarban belt.Our main focusis child development and women empowerment.
The organisation is registered under State Act. i. e. West Bengal Society Registration Act. 1961 also registered under Section 80G(5)(vi),12AA & FCRA.
NHH runs all its activities solely by the support and donations contributed by the members,patrons and well-wishers.
Mission of NHH:NHH aims at providing overall growth, education and nourishment to the deprived children and developing self -help groups for training and empowering men and women to enable socio-economic reforms of the entire community, while letting them stay connected with their roots. Our volunteers also enlighten these villagers about the social evils likeHuman trafficking and other important factors.
Vision of NHH:The main vision of this organization is to open many more child development centres and contributing in the development of the Nation by enabling a strong, educated and enlightened society, that is well aware of its social rights and responsibilities.
“CHILD GUIDANCE AND DEVELOPMENTPROGRAMME” (Dishari)
DISHARI is a five-fold programme:
1) Life Style Education– Focusing on all-round education and enlightenment of Children about environmental, social, national, constitutional, wild-life, etc, through interesting, innovative and legible teaching and learning tools.
2) Non-Formal Education - Under new Child Education Act introduced by the Government, running a traditional formal school is not at all possible. Due to inadequacy of opportunities, majority of children in rural areas are deprived of even the basic education, leave alone the all-round growth opportunities. Non-formal education centers for children could be a solution in such areas to impart supplementary education to these children as well as, the ones who have dropped out of school. Later, these children could be referred to the formal schools.
3) Cultural Orientation – The evolution and growth of our society has its roots deeply seeded in its cultural values. Even in the remote locations, there is no dearth of children with inborn skills. One of the objectives of this project is to identify such children and groom them in right direction. Also, this programme will help in bringing out the hidden skills in children by different cultural activities through innovative methods and motivation, with special focus on enhancing their local and traditional culture.
4) Skill Development – Searching out children with special talents and skills, be it in computers, mechanicals, creative skills, etc, is the basic objective of this programme.
5) Child Care Center – Under this programme, specially trained/skilled professionals will help and counsel the children with “SPECIAL NEEDS”, having different types of disabilities, backwardness, etc.
A BRIEF BACKGROUND OF SELECTION OF CHILD GUIDE / DEVELOPMENT ACTIVITY –
SUNDARBAN is located at the southern-most part of West Bengal, surrounded by rivers and forest. The locals are mostly very poor and dependent on farming or fishing. They survive on the mercy of Mother Nature. Their livelihood is often affected by natural calamities.
Though,the basic and formal schools are available there and the local administration is trying to improve the situation but still,it is a far cry from being a decent scenario,due to the lack of awareness regarding the importance of education / non availability of proper environment for education. These villagers are living under the poverty line. They have a hard time earning themselves the basic requirements of food and shelter. Such a population is in no way capable of establishing a proper environment to study, or mindset in understanding the necessity of education for their kids. As a result, drop-out cases are increasing and quality of education received is questionable.
Keeping in mind the afore scenario, we have identified a couple of action area –
1. To create a proper set up and environment for learning and designing different activities to impart formal education.
2. Simultaneously, running awareness campaigns for parents and relatives of these children to enlighten them about the importance of education so that they can induce their children for these educational programmes.
Present Scenario of Dishari:
Our key project-DISHARIis established in GoranBose 1, Basanti, Sundarban. Presently, there are 122 children getting all-round education under the selfless guidance of five Teachers, a Drawing teacher, an Assistant Teacher and, a Project Supervisor.
With the constant moral support and encouragement from the local panchayat& Block officer, the locals, we are growing slowly, but steadily in the right direction. We also are gratified to Shri Prabir Nayek & his brother who donated land for our Dishari Building. Our guides and patrons are very supportive of our teaching methods. The Headmaster of Local School (Mr. Madan Mohan) has extended his full support and is very appreciative of the teaching methods of Dishari.
· Health Awareness Programme :The organisation is arranging Health Awareness and Preventive Health Care Camps at regular intervals mostly for women and children.
WOMEN EMPOWERMENT PROGRAMME ( Lavanya) :
· The organisation is running several Self-help Groups comprising women of the adjacent villages in its operational areas.
· The Organization is arranging several short term skill development trainings like:goat-farm, farming, nursery plantation,poultry farming, embroidery etc; for empowering the women from financially weaker segments
Awareness programmes for women on anti-trafficking ,mother & child care, education, etc
are also conducted to ensure women safety and protection.
· The ultimate phase of Women empowerment: After skill development training ,these women will be inducted into area / village based groups to form a production unit by purchasing raw materials/machineries. Thereafter, they can sell finished products in market
Our dreams are boundless but our resources are limited. All the members of NHHare tirelessly trying to change the fate of the deprivedlocals of Goranbose, especially, the children and women by investingtheir time, skill, energy and recourses. But it is like contributing a few buckets of water where the need is of a sea. We have taken up this daunting taskof providing and establishing a better socio-economic environment for these villagers and We are NOT GIVING UP!
However, we understand that a great effort need even greater support. Alone, we cannot achieve our goal of a new dawn of education for these children. We need support from all the responsible citizens, Institutes and Organizations, who also have a dream of an educated society and share our zest to contribute in our mission.
We sincerely urge and anticipate whole-hearted support from every individual, group, organization to make our mission a success.