The Foundation draws its inspiration from the Tamil proverb “vidhiyai madhiyaal vellalaam”, which translates to, “destiny can be conquered with knowledge (madhi)”. We truly believe that equitable and purposeful education can be a great leveler for children, mitigating the adverse impact of most of their social, cultural or economic disadvantages on their future, helping them realise their potential for excellence.
From 3 schools in 2015 (our pilot year) to impacting nearly 150 schools in 2017-18, Madhi has grown to impact nearly 8000 students and 250 teachers this year. Our teacher development data and student learning outcome data (yes, we crunch a lot of data!) show promising results and we witness change everyday and it makes every other challenge that comes with trying to change the system worth it.
- all the teaching-learning material like bilingual lesson plans, worksheets, practice sheets, group activity props for all lessons across all subjects for grades 1-3
- one tablet per class which helps us support teachers better by observing the pattern of content usage (the tablets come preloaded with lesson plans, videos and assessments)
- one TV per class. Madhi designs and produces interactive bilingual content for all lessons, all subjects for grades 1-3. Students watch and learn from the audio-visual content which is played on the TV.
- teacher professional development support. A programme collaborator spends one day a week observing and supporting teachers in order to help them attain their professional development goals.
- highly customised and modularised workshops for teachers throughout the year which focus on language and pedagogy
- periodic formative and summative assessments to ensure our children are learning and their learning needs are being met through remedial measures
Madhi has ambitious (some might even call it 'crazy'!) goals and we believe that every child deserves an excellent education and every teacher a nurturing ecosystem. If you believe this crazy goal can and should be achieved before we lose more time and more generations to inequitable quality of education, support us and help us build a team that's passionate, intelligent, empathetic and believes in such crazy dreams for our children!