We have a dream to provide world class education through digital media to the children and youth of north Bihar. In the first year, 250 children from rural set up would gather incremental knowledge at out centre.
PRAYOG started as an initiative in June 2013 and was registered as a Trust in November 2013. Head office is based in Patna and operates in Kuchaikote block of Gopalganj district. Currently works for value based education amongst children between 3-15 years old, all studying in Government schools. Founded by four youths living in different corners of the world who wish to see a changed world and works to bridge the gap between education in urban and rural setups by giving access to proper resources, enabling rural children to think via value based education, ensuring exposure to the outside world and creating forward linkages so that education results into proper livelihoods for all.We are now planning to start a proper learning centre for 250 children of this set up.
The PROBLEMS (based on our two years of experience)
- Our community library has created immense excitement to more than 500 children and has provided them with all possible ways of add on knowledge, but due to poor quality of teaching at the Government school, children are still not able to reap its benefits effectively. There are students in primary and middle schools who do not know basic math (multiplication, division)
- We have equipped the youngest lot (just between 3 – 8 years of age!) with tablets but we are only able to be with them for an hour or so as they have to attend their classes in the morning. We have 50 such children each with a tablet in hand and learning the basics and 50 more identified to benefit through the ongoing project. We do this only in evening hours and children are left out on the days when its raining, on the days when temperature is soaring high and during extreme cold. A class room with minimal facility of sitting arrangement, shade and fan would excite them and we would also extend this service to other children in the same age group
- Girls who have passed out their matriculation have enrolled for higher education in colleges that are 20 – 25 kms away. These are the colleges where reaching through public transport (shared jeeps etc) is time taking and expensive. It would cost Rs.50 daily only for commuting and parents discourage girls to attend classes. The girls are helpless and are forced to appear only during exams. Life of girls who should enjoy college is hence restricted for domestic help only at houses and hence early marriages (before they reach 20). Every year, 5-6 girls from each village pass their matriculation and go through this phase of life. In Prayog’s catchment area of 12 villages, we are planning to facilitate their daily classes through ‘ e-volunteers’ and internet based study materials. 50 girls would benefit through this in the first year.
We are now looking to establish a proper platform for imparting direct education and we have reasons mentioned above. You can also go through the link below that depicts our trajectory and motivation to dream and work hard.
What we need to do with the funds is:
- A 60 ft x 20 ft. structure to facilitate the sitting arrangement for 250 children
- 4 Desktops, Broadband connectivity
- Solar system for power
- Eco-friendly toilets
We are in need of Rs 500000 (Five Lakhs) to set up this learning centre. Rs. 2000 (Rs. Two Thousands) is what it would take for 1 child to get this facility in a year.
1. What place would this initiative run?This centre would be based in Gopalganj district of north Bihar.
2. Who would be the beneficiaries?
Children in the pre-school and primary education age group, with equal number of boys and girls. Apart from these, girls who have passed their matriculation and cannot go to college to pursue their classes owing to distance and mindset existing for quite a long time
3. Would my donation be tax emempt.
No. We are currently a registered Trust with 12A certificate only with us. We have applied for 80G but that would take time
4. Has any previous donation been made?
Yes, we highly depend on like minded individuals to support us. Fundraising has been successfully been done for 200 solar study lamps and an exposure trip for 110 children. Apart from this, individuals donate books to our library and have also committed for a 'Girls Fellowship Programme'
5. By when would this initiative take place on ground?
We are a committed team and once the fundraising is complete, we would engage in the site construction and arrangements. The centre would start functioning by April, 2016
6. How would the operational costs be met?
This would be covered by our own savings. Prayog team has run this initiative mostly from their pocket and operational cost would be our contribution to this project
For any other query, you may directly write a mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org or call at +91 9801764664