********** IMPORTANT **********May 11, 2021
We have reopened this campaign to raise funds to support our students families in need via direct deposits through this lockdown in 2021.
Many of them have lost their means of daily livelihood to the pandemic.
Check the Updates tab to follow our activities.
Thank you for your support!
May 31, 2020
The funds raised during COVID-19 are transferred to iTeach for distributing the food packages during the lockdown.
Thank you all for your love, support and valuable contributions.
About UsSonba Tupe English Medium School is located at the heart of Malwadi, Hadapsar, Pune. Our school caters to students coming from different communities in and around Hadapsar such as the localities of Malwadi, Manjiri and Sayyed nagar to name a few. Over 20 Teach for India fellows have worked for more than 6 years, and have created an impact on around 1000 students till now. Over the past 6 years, many of us from Teach For India have been trying to ensure that the children of Sonba Tupe have a holistic education. Our belief is that a holistic education involves a healthy and perfect balance of academic achievement, values and extra curricular activities.
We aim to make hundreds of students believe in what is possible by introducing them to fellow led opportunities likes 1Student 1Sport, Student Council (inducing student leadership), Saturday Clubs such as Space Jam and many more. Project Re-Think has been working in our school to push student ideas to think and question through reading and not just rote learning. We thus look forward to increasing the opportunities available to hundreds of students from the communities that our school Late Madhavrao Sonba Tupe English Medium School caters to.
Challenges we face
The infrastructure of the school makes it difficult to conduct proper classes or to introduce any extra-curricular or sports activities for the students involving sufficient number of hours. We are currently finding it financially unsustainable to maintain our Learning Centre space to take extra classes for the students in need. Thus, lack of financial support closes doors to the children who deserve equal opportunities as children from privileged houses.
How your contribution can helpThe students come from violent backgrounds where parental investment is a rare gift. Thus ample support, workshops and counseling is usually unavailable to the children due to budget financial constraints. With the funds we receive from you, we will be providing our students with multiple opportunities that they otherwise do not have access to. Below is the fund channelization through which we hope to meet the requirements of our areas of utmost need for the current academic year.
- The learning centre space (LC) where we try to provide classroom spaces for the children to make up for the lack of instructional hours our students face due to shared classrooms between different grades. (LC rent is INR 8,000 per month)
- One student One Sport program ( coach and equipment fees) football- INR 10,000/month, Taekwondo INR 5,000/month and cricket INR 40,000/4 months.
- School ground leveling is necessary to ensure that the students are safe within the group and not harmed by sharp rocks and objects on the grounds (INR 25,000)
- Sanitary and clean washrooms with water supply is highly necessary for the vast number of students we cater to. (Funds required INR 15,000)
- There is an urgent need for us to work on our broken windows throughout the school where chipped glass can severely harm the students. (Funds required INR 14,000)
- Project Re-Think will have a proper library system, management and reading sessions via a volunteer on a minimum payroll for around Rs 5000 a month.