The program aims to:
- Develop the skill and orientation of youth for sanitation related work
- Bring youth across the country an opportunity to make a significant contribution to the swachhata revolution
- Integrate youth in the community service in rural areas in the run up to the 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi
Candidates are eligible to choose their location of internship (village/district) and hence the village of our choice was Rampura.
Rampura village is located in Gurugram District, Haryana and consists of about 200 houses and a population of approximately 4000. Every household has basic amenities like electricity, fresh water and sanitation except for awareness about Solid Waste Management. SWM includes:
- Waste Collection Drives (households/ common or shared spaces)
- Segregation of solid waste into non-biodegradable and biodegradable waste
- Development of Compost Pits
- Transportation of Household waste (to appropriate disposal site)
- Street Cleaning, Drain Cleaning, Cleaning of back alleys
Over the duration of our internship, we plan to carry out a list of activities for which we would require funds. The list of activities are:
1. Spreading awareness about SWM by approaching households/ shops
2. Organising "Swacchathon"- A marathon for Swacchata around the village wherein two saplings will be planted for every person who participates (open to public)
3. Graffiti: Sending messages about Swacchata through Art
4. Gathering Volunteers and cleaning streets and drains.
These activities require resources and a good number of equipments, especially with the number of volunteers we plan to involve. We would hence require funds and would welcome any amount of donation wholeheartedly.