Some lesser known facts about cancer:
- Cancer cells evolve with time i.e. if you kill cancer cells with some chemical(s), then when next time they appear(the relapse of cancer), they will most likely be resistant to that chemical.
- Every instant of cancer has its unique signature. Hence, possibility of a universal drug for cancer is highly unlikely.
- Once the cancer has been spread in the body, the chance of survival is very bleak. For lung cancer, it is as low as 4%.
- Having said that, more than half of all cancers are preventable if diagnosed at right time.
- Cancer is not contagious. However, some cancers are caused by viruses and bacteria.
- Cancers are hereditary. But, only 5-10 % of the cancer cases are hereditary.
(Taken from India Today Article: https://www.indiatoday.in/education-today/gk-current-affairs/story/cancer-rate-india-stats-cure-treatment-1386739-2018-11-12)
Some statistics related to cancer(valid for Indian Population only):
- According to the National Cancer Registry Programme of the India Council of Medical Research (ICMR), more than 1300 Indians die every day due to cancer.
- More women in India die from cervical cancer than in any other country. Rural women are at higher risk of developing cervical cancer as compared to their urban counterparts.
- Cancers such as breast, oral, cervical, gastric, lung, and colorectal cancer can be cured if detected early and treated adequately. One woman dies of cervical cancer every 8 minutes in India.
- No herbal products have been scientifically proven to be effective in the treatment of cancer.
I believe that it's our responsibility, the educated ones to make the rest of population aware about this beast. It will be great if you can volunteer in it personally but if you can't, please donate a small amount so that we can conduct workshops in rural areas. Even 1 Rupee matters.