Merry Christmas to you!
We teach 150 wonderful kids(in 3 classrooms of 6th, 7th and 8th grade) at a Government School in Hyderabad(GHS Bandimet). We call them "Bandimet Warriors" as they fight for change everyday. The school is based in a low income community where most of the parents are daily wage workers. But that never stops these children as they are always driven for excellence.
Here are a few success/ inspiring stories about our children:
- They've conducted a drive against alcoholism in their community(with 3-4 fathers trying to stop), they are now planning a cleanliness drive as well.
- They have started PARENT CLASSES for the parents of our community. They teach basic Math and English so as to equip the parents with basic skills. They also teach soft skills.
- They teach the basics of Math and English to 9th and 10th graders as well.
- They have started Camp Diaries BY THE CHILDREN FOR THE CHILDREN in our community for many other kids that we haven't been able to impact. They teach all these kids various extra curricular activities to help them find their passion. These camps are a 100% led by the children.
- One of our students, Saraswati, is now studying at Aga Khan Academy on 120% scholarship. (Valued at over 10 lakhs rupees each year.)
- Kids have won the Best script, Best play, Best director award at Dramebaaz for two years in a row. And these plays were embedded with a social message, and planned by the kids themselves.
- Over 80 of our students have performed in the ticketed showcase of Camp Diaries with over 200 people watching each time. They've been covered by many new channels, news papers and radio channels.
Apart from these, they are planning on many more projects in and outside the school, as they are marching towards achieving their goals in lives.
And to provide them with the best education, we are in need of a few things.
- A Projector and a Speaker: As the kids are very receptive to visual content and understand the concepts better through them.
- Dictionaries: As the kids are in the process of improving their vocabularies and independent learning.
- Sports Shoes: Most of them can't afford basic slippers, let alone shoes, due to which they end up getting hurt often. (We understand that they will grow out of them soon, but we still think they deserve to wear them for a few months.)
- Story Books: Kids like to read, and we are soon going to have a 100 book per class Challenge as well.
- Note books - Not all kids can afford basic stationary.
- Stationary: Geometry boxes, pens, pencils, erasers, scales, colour pencils, paints, etc.
So, it would be great if you could contribute any amount this Christmas season to give these kids a good learning resource. (No amount is too small! Even the sacrifice of a one time meal outside would mean a lot to us.)
Thanks in advance, thanks for caring. (For reading/contributing/smiling)
For more details -
Milind - 9731463456
Sanskriti - 9398242771
Joel - 9445835781