I'm a college student. From 7-september-2021, I started my internship with Hamari Pehchan NGO. One of their project which name is SUKHAD. The NGO start this project to help underprivileged women. I choose to be a part of this project because I feel so connected to this. As a girl I know the importance of having sanitary pads and proper information about menstrual hygiene during periods.
#There are many facts and fads about menstrual.
1) Anxiety & Embarrassment : Bloodstain on clothing and worry about menstrual leakage.
2) Myths & Taboos :
* During menstrual girl are impure, prevent girl and women from daily works.
* Sanitary products should be kept private and covered in paper while purchasing.
*Restrictions on girls & women during periods on going outside.
# Their are also huge impact of improper menstrual hygiene on girls & women.
1) Loss of education: Many girls remain absent from their school during periods. School absenteeism was significantly associated with the type of absorbent used, lack of privacy at school, restrictions imposed on girls during menstruation, mother's education, and source of information on menstruation.
2) Infection: Using cloth during period can infect reproductive tract & urinary tract.
* No access to pill during excessive pain because many people thought it's not good for girls.
* Lack of access to sanitary pads. Commercial sanitary pads are expensive and parents particularly in low income families are reluctant to spend money on pads.
# Cause of poor health/hygiene during periods.
1) Lack of toilets in slum area and public places and un many village people do not build a toilet in there home because they thought it's not good to have toilet in home.
2) Lack of water supply in village and slum area by which it's too difficult for the girls who live there to keep them clean during periods.
3) Poor diet and material advice to use during periods.
1) More availability of sanitary products in slum area and no GST on sanitary products.
2) Policies of free distribution of sanitary pads to poor people who can't buy these things every month.
3) Demonstrate good menstrual hygiene practices and provide information on the basis of menstrual hygiene.
I request to all people to donate for this cause and take this problem seriously because it's important for every girls and women to be comfortable & hygienic during periods. Even your small donation your small step can make a big difference. You can also help us by spreading awareness about menstrual hygiene. Because we want that every single girl or women of our india to be free from every single problem related to periods.
WE ARE PLANNING TO DISTRIBUTE AROUND 50K SUKHAD KITS TO UNDERPRIVILEGED WOMEN throughout the year.
Per kit price:
Sukhad kit for 1 woman = Rs. 1,400/-
Sukhad kits for 5 women = Rs 7,000/-
KIT INCLUDES 24 packets of the sanitary pad 6 packets of soap Disposable paper envelopes.
You can donate through the website as well www.hamaripahchan.org
If you would like to know more about this project, write to me at
firstname.lastname@example.org or contact me at 9315501266 You can read more about this NGO on www.hamaripahchan.org