Who is Gohela?
She is the daughter of Ratan Boro and Hapwr Boro.
What is she known for?
- A renowned archery player who brought glory for Assam and the nation in the recent past by presenting the state and country in different State and National level archery competitions.
- Starting her sporting career in 2008 from Sports Authority of India (SAI), Kokrajhar she has won a total 72 medals at various National, State, and District level Archery competitions.
- Most recently she won a gold medal in 2015 National Games which was held in Kerala.
- She had also won four gold medals – three in individual events and one in a team event – at the 60th National School Games held in Guwahati in 2015.
- She was even selected to represent India in international events which she could not make due to her illness.
Gohela has been battling for her life since November 2016.
She was treated at Gauhati Medical College (ITU) from 23rd November 2016 to 13th January 2017. On 13th January 2017 Gauhati Medical College referred her to AIIMS, New Delhi or Apollo, Chennai.
Since then she was simply lying on the bed as neither she nor her family could afford the required treatment, due to their poor financial condition. Since last week of March 2017Gohela has not been able to eat anything and was just surviving on a bowl of water. Her fingers and left leg toe are decaying and slowly she is losing her parts. Till now she lost her left toe and few fingers.
On 5th April 2017 Discovery Club, a Kokrajhar based NGO visited her and temporarily admitted her to RNB Civil Hospital, Kokrajhar. However, the doctor has advised to shift her to AIIMS, New Delhi or Apollo, Chennai as soon as possible for her further treatment.
Thus, family members of Gohela are planning to move her to AIIMS, New Delhi as soon as possible.
Gohela's father is a daily wage labourer and mother is a peasant they have given everything they could on Gohela's treatment now they only have hopes left. Approximate estimation by the Gauhati Medical College suggests that an amount of more than Rs. 5 lakhs will be required for her treatment at AIIMS, New Delhi.
How can you help?
It is very sad to see a player of her merit to suffer so much. Ms. Gohela is our pride, our talent, and our dignity. Therefore, it is a humble request to one and all to donate whatever you feel like is right and share the cause with your friends and family so that she can come out of this battle, go back to archery. The required amount is large, but with enough people willing to help, it won't be a hurdle at all.
- Funds can only go to Gohela's account or to the hospital account.
- The fund will be solely used for her medical treatment.